Tuesday, December 11, 2012

The Ultimate Roommate

So I haven't really talked about myself much on these, or stories, or experiences. That changes today.

So amid studying for finals in my living room, (or anything that ever happens in my living room), are the random conversations that happen with my roommate Dave. Yes this is being inspired with the conversation about how to effectively trim a mustache that transpired 10 minutes ago (No Shave November has carried through to Don't Shave December). I've been dying to write about this or express it somewhere; it's not something we go about and talk about a lot, having a 57 year old roommate. So yes, Dave happens to be 57 years old (that took some prying and asking him on three different occasions how old he is), is from Arizona (I think), is taking some family history classes at BYU, and lives with four 21-23 year-olds. Shocker on move in day? Yup!

Let me tell you some things that I have learned from my friend Dave.

  1. Flipping low-priced houses in Alabama can be quite profitable. 
  2. Obama is truly going to ruin this country, and Dave has enough bumper stickers to prove it. 
  3. A person can live out of a mini-fridge that they keep in their room, occasionally emerging to cook something in the microwave. 
  4. I want to get married. 
  5. You can buy 20 acres in Arizona for $5,000 off the internet. Oh and you can buy property off E bay! I thought that was fascinating. Turns out most of the land in AZ for that cheap happens to be the land that is next to the freeway in the middle of the dessert. (Two s's in that right? I always forget which one is desert and dessert)
  6. It's funny to call any woman George. 
Anyways, I don't write this to down on Dave. He's a kind man with a big heart, and I want to make sure that that point is made. I don't understand his background and what he's doing in life, but, it is quite an entertaining situation, one of those things that would happen to me. Yes, my parents (as well as those of my other roommates) are quite concerned with the fact that we are living with a 57 year old man. The concern is understandable. Yet, you get people in this world from all backgrounds, and in various situations. Maybe this last part is coming from the fact that I am listening to "Where is the Love?" by The Black Eyed Peas. But the point is this.... I wish that more people could hear the conversations that go on in my living room. The 10 minute, random, no introduction or salutations necessary, story-filled documentaries of Dave's money saving bargaining via the internet or real estate schemes. Feel free to stop by anytime! 

Oh, and if you haven't listened to "My Boo" by Usher and Alicia Keys, I recommend it! Very good for studying...






3 comments:

  1. Phil that was both enlightening, and entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You want to eat two desserts and you only want to go to the desert once. My third graders love that trick :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phil, this is...weird. Also, very interesting. You know what I want to see more of? vlogging..like the whatever-the-apartment-was 22 from freshman year. Also, I have rubbed off on Alison. End of story. :)

    ReplyDelete